The Hajji Baba Club Research Fellowship seeks to encourage and support fundamental research in the field of carpet studies by established scholars and early-career scholars of outstanding promise. One HBC Research Fellowship will be awarded annually. The fellowship period will last for the ten months of the academic year, from September to June. The award for 2019-2020 will be $5,000.
Pre-doctoral candidates, post-doctoral researchers and senior scholars will be considered. In exceptional cases, independent or unaffiliated scholars may also be considered. Pre-doctoral candidates should be registered currently in a PhD program at an accredited college or university and be working steadily toward their degree. Post-doctoral candidates and established, senior scholars should hold a tenure-track or tenured position at an accredited college or university, or an equivalent position at an accredited museum. Independent scholars should have a credible track record of research and publications in the field of carpet studies.
No member of the Hajji Baba Club will be considered, nor will any projects of a commercial nature.
In PDF Format:
- A specific, independent and original research proposal for a project in the field of carpet studies, in 1,500-5,000 words in English. The proposal should include:
- A description of what will be accomplished during the fellowship period.
- A description of travel that might be undertaken for research.
- A proposed budget for research
- A descriptive list of other fellowships and sources of support that may be held concurrently with the HBC Research Fellowship.
- A full curriculum vitae, including education, professional experience, honors, awards, and publications.
- A recent, sample publication.
- Contact information for three references, academic or museum-based, who can attest to the quality and relevance of the proposal and the suitability and integrity of the applicant.
- Pre-doctoral candidates should supply official undergraduate and graduate transcripts.
All materials should be sent by email to: email@example.com by April 30, 2019.
Applications are reviewed by a committee of distinguished scholars and experts in the field of carpet studies. Fellows are selected on the basis of their independent research accomplishments, creativity, and outstanding potential to become leading scholars in the field. The feasibility, relevance, significance and creativity of proposed projects will be considered. Fellows will be announced by the end of July, 2019.
Terms of Award
The Fellowship period will last for ten months, from September 2019 – June 2020, during which the Fellow may call himself/herself the Hajji Baba Club Fellow.
The Fellowship award is paid in a single, lump sum.
Fellowship funds may be used by the Fellow for any expense judged supportive of the Fellow’s research and described in the project budget.
Fellowship funds may not be used for indirect costs or overhead charges. Pre-doctoral candidates may not use the funds for tuition fees.
Fellows are obligated to notify the Hajji Baba Club if they are changing institutions.
Fellows are obligated to submit an interim report (by February 28, 2020) and final report (by July 31, 2020) detailing research activities and expenditures to date.
Fellows will give a lecture in the Hajji Baba Club lecture series in New York during their fellowship period.
Any publication of the research material supported by the HBC Research Fellowship should cite the support of the Hajji Baba Club, Inc., New York.